Friday, April 20, 2012

Rebecca Hamilton's "The Forever Girl"

The familiar jingle-jangle of the ice-cream truck that you've been hearing in the background?  Yeah, that's us.  Today, we have a special treat for your eyes and your mind (you may have to hunt down a REAL ice-cream truck for any other senses)  


Here's a first-glimpse at Rebecca Hamilton's debut novel, "The Forever Girl."  Just a little something to wet your appetite.  Also!  Ms. Hamilton has agreed to give away a free ebook copy of her book to one lucky commenter!  So be sure to read, enjoy, then let everybody know what you think!


(Posted by Matthew Bryant)



EXCERPT....

He rested his forearms on the table and leaned forward. “Was that a yes or a no to dancing?”
I shook my head, but my smile said ‘yes’. Not to mention Marcus was still staring—and in the least intriguing way. He gave me the creeps. If I was dancing with someone else, that might get the weirdo’s attention off me. I spotted Ivory dancing with another girl, perhaps a friend she’d met here before, and figured one dance without her wouldn’t hurt.
The man across from me stood and offered his hand. My palm warmed as I accepted, and, as I rose to join him, my balance shifted. I wobbled, nearly falling right back into my seat.
He hooked his arm around my waist, supporting me against his body, his breath soft on my ear. “Careful there.”
At his sudden embrace, a small shock flashed through my body. After a moment, my vision steadied. With his biceps behind my back and his forearm against my side, I felt somehow smaller and safer at the same time. I tilted my face up, catching his gaze. The candlelight from the table danced inside his irises and illuminated flecks of amber in his eyes. He cocked one eyebrow slightly, his amused expression also somehow gentle. Perhaps I’d misjudged him.
The moment rapidly becoming too intimate, I tensed. I needed to put some distance between us, to ignore the unwanted fluttering in my stomach. I stepped back. The air in the room lacked the warmth and comfort of his body.
“I’m okay,” I said, which was true depending on what one’s definition of ‘okay’ was.
We wedged into a small opening in the crowd near the speakers. The burning scent of hot electrical wires replaced the fruity aroma of liquored drinks. He tilted his head down toward me as he stepped tentatively closer, then he rested his firm but gentle hands on my hips, his arms bent at the elbow, relaxed.
I was decidedly not so relaxed.
I peered up at him, unsure what he expected. I’d never danced with a guy, not unless relatives at weddings counted.
Awkwardly, I placed my hands on the front of his shoulders, steadying myself as I swayed with him. A shiver flashed down my spine at the firmness of his body. How could he be so solid and still so graceful? His hands easily covered my hipbones, his fingertips pressing just behind my sides, into the muscles of my back. In that moment, I felt another kind of vulnerability.
He leaned forward and pressed his lips to my ear. “You okay?”
I nodded, stepping closer and sliding my hands around to the back of his shoulders. I buried my face against his chest, safe from his imploring gaze. He smelled like vanilla and musk and sandalwood, and I tried to commit the intoxicating scent to memory.
What the hell was I doing? I hesitated backward, away from him, but he easily guided me right back, and I had to bite my lip not to gasp as an unexpected shudder ran through my body. The heat radiating from his flesh burned through my dress, the warmth igniting in my stomach and snaking outward in an involuntary arousal. An arousal I needed to dismiss, even if only out of the irrational fear I’d become the kind of woman Mother would damn to Hell. Of course, Mother already thought that’s where I was going.

7 comments:

Caroline Clemmons said...

Wow, what a terrific excerpt. You certainly captured my interest. Thanks for sharing--and please enter me in the giveaway.

Caroline@carolineclemmons.com

Thorne Anderson said...

What a sensual scene. It drew me right in and I was right there with the characters. Great job.
Thanks for sharing with us. Hope I'm the winner.

Ruby Johnson said...

Thanks for posting on our site. You shared an excerpt that hooked me for sure. Looking forward to reading the book.

C. A. Szarek said...

I got it the other day. So excited to read it! :)

SusieSheehey said...

Thanks so much! Great excerpt, and the cover is beautiful!

Unknown said...

we need to pick a winner! thank you all for the compliments!

Unknown said...

we need to pick a winner! thank you all for the compliments!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...